Wednesday 8 January 2014

Hu's Inn, Chatswood

Hu's Inn has been around for quite a few months already. Every time we've walked past, its punny name would beckon like a siren to a boat of sailors. We eventually paid a visit when the Boy decided to side with millions in the New Year's battle against fat:

Him: I've put on weight since Christmas, but I can't just stop eating :(
Me: I'll eat half your food!
H: That's not really part of the plan...
M: Salads for you then!
H: *grunt*
M: What are we going to do for dinner tomorrow? :/
H: Japan City?
M: Closed for dinner until Thursday. Salad at Palings, Ivy? :D
H: No salads! >=[
M: Hu's Inn?
H: I'm innnn!



The group of shop lots that Hu's Inn now inhabits has housed a vast range of businesses, including a branch of Subway, a clothing shop, and the French cafe Le Petit Paris. Though I'm sad Le Petit Paris moved to Mosman before I managed to pay it a visit, it's great to see Chatswood now has two Taiwanese eateries (the other being Bao Dao). It'll certainly add variety to the "Chatswong/wu" stereotype. (Well, not really. It's still Asian. Whatever the case, it's not Thai/ Japanese/ Korean/ Cantonese/ Shanghainese. IT CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING!!)


Condiments

Food

Ordering system is similar to Bao Dao and is as follows:
1. Be seated
2. Order and pay at the counter
3. Return to table and wait for food
4. Food comes to you

Condiments include pickled chilli and their specialty chilli oil - reported by the Boy to be pretty hot.

Cuttlefish ball soup and iced green/ black tea are half price when you order a main. I forget the prices but each were only a couple of dollars.

Iced black tea (~$2.00)

The traditional Taiwanese braised pork rice was pretty decent but probably wasn't good for the Boy's diet - the minced pork was slathered in liquid fat, reminding me of pork belly in gua bao. Although the meat was only laid out on top, the sauce had trickled through the rest of the rice, which is really all that matters.

Braised pork rice (~$6.00)

Wonton noodle soup was the other main we ordered. Portions were large considering we'd ordered  small dishes from the "Fried Delights" half of the menu as well, but would be what you'd expect from a casual Chinese restaurant. I'm always a sucker for clear broth, so where I have to prioritise my food, I'll go for the soup first. The wonton pastry and noodles were firmer than I'm used to getting in Cantonese restaurants - I'm not sure if this is typical of Taiwanese food in general...

Wonton noodle soup (~$8.00)

I avoided the offals and opted for the less adventurous "fried delights". The cuttlefish balls and American hot dog were sprinkled with a LOT of salt and pepper, making it difficult to taste anything else. While it looks pretty, it's probably better to serve it on the side (or to avoid it all together since condiments are displayed on each table).

Aside from the pepper, the cuttlefish balls and sausage were pretty standard stuff.

Cuttlefish balls ($4.00)

American hot dog ($4.00)

We had no idea what tian bu la is, but once I sank my teeth into one piece, I was relieved that it isn't a dish of organs. It's pretty much like the fried fish paste that my family eats at home with our laksa.

Tian bu la ($4.00)

I also had my first taste of American corndog, which was the sausage from the American hotdog coated in a thin layer of cornmeal batter. Sorry America, I don't think I'm a fan.

American corndog ($4.00)

Service is friendly, though a little difficult to communicate with in English - kudos to the Boy for speaking for me in Mando.

There's one thing that's been bothering me, though... Hu's Keith??





Hu's Inn on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment